How I Proposed

February 13, 2020



Context: This happened back in 2018, during our fifth anniversary, so my details maybe lacking or some details maybe a bit fuzzy so please understand.

Chapter 1: Planning

There’s nothing I hate more than procrastinating specially with things or ideas that were had in advance, so when I had the plan to ask the question, suffice to say, it took over an entire year of preparation. I first set up a plan, with all these in consideration;

1st: I want it to be in a private place
2nd: I want all the people who played a part in our relationship to be there
3rd: I want a romantic scenery
4th: As a DIYer a lot of things would be DIYed OC
5th: I wanted to do it on our exact 5th Anniversary

Enlisting the help of my friends, we decided to rent an airbnb, and to just DIY everything, now I didn’t have a job at the time, I was in Law School but I did have some coins saved up but obvi not that much, thankfully my friends pitched in. With my saved up money I bought a 14k ring with the intention of upgrading it as our means will soon allow

For the outfits I wanted everyone to be in an all white ensemble and me and Jeff will be in black and wearing our couple bomber jackets.

Chapter 2: DIYS

As the self titled Filipino King of DIYs of course i’m going to DIY, I settled on a modern rustic theme and laid down a lot of stuff that I could DIY, I wanted to do the following

  • A DIY Bar
  • A DIY Ice Cream Bar
  • A floral centerpiece
  • Giveaways
  • Toiletries for the rooms
  • Abour
  • Signs and Labels
  • The Food
  • Welcome Shots
  • Other smaller details

For the DIY Bar, I bought various types of liquor and juices and printed out some liquor recipes as guide, and for the DIY Ice Cream Bar, I just got two types of ice cream and a lot of topping choices. For the floral centerpiece I wanted a runner type of arrangement, I made this by braiding twine and gluing the fake flowers on the braided twine.




For the giveaways, I wanted a hangover kit since we did plan on getting drunk that night, I just filled a brown kraft bag with anti acid, advil, bandaids, lollies, mint, and some hair ties, with a thank you note of course, we can’t forget our manners even when we’re drunk AF. the same goes with the toiletries only that one I just put some rebottled shampoo, soap, conditioner, cotton buds, cotton balls, tooth paste, tooth brush and napkins for the girls.




Other DIYS





Chapter 3: Venue Drama

Literally 2 days before the proposal the airbnb that we booked CANCELLED ON US. like damn, can things get much much worst that that? Like I planned everything based on that location alone, so not only are we without a venue, the plans for the decor was likewise ruined. Did I mention I also bought sky lanterns because the original venue had a huge barren area around it? 

Everyone, and I mean everyone banded together to find a new place which will allow 20pax and have a huge backyard and will welcome us even if we are a last minute booking. THANKFULLY we were able to find one, athough not my first choice, but I’ll take it.




Chapter 4: Ingress

The new venue was in Tagaytay which was extremely farther than what we originally planed, and this was on a weekday, so to avoid traffic, we left QC at 12am and arrived at Tagaytay at around 2-3am I’m not sure there was no light still when we arrived. We stayed at mcdonalds the whole time and was able to check in at 2pm. Everyone helped in setting up, but was too tired to continue on (all of us hadn’t slept yet) so I did the finishing touches until some guests arrive.




Remember when I told you we had Venue Drama, at this point we had logistical drama as well, since some people who promised to bring cars never came, some of the decor pieces did not arrive as well, simply put none of my plans went accordingly. The Eccentric Arbour with wooden twigs that I wanted to do did not go as plan, the nice long table with a runner looked sooo poor and sad, and the DIY Bar that I planned did not materialize as well, because most liquors came in only after the “Main Event" 


Chapter 5: The Proposal

The ruse: Prior to this, I told Jeff that we were going to a fancy restaurant in Tagaytay for our 5th anniversary, and he should meet me at taft, but we planned that he’d come across some of our friends who are just “randomly together” and would “randomly want to go to tagaytay too” so he could hitch a ride with them, it’s much more clever than I explained to be anyway.

All the guests are slowly arriving, except for two parties, one with Jeff and one with my HS friends who are basically neck and neck en route to the location.  Jeff arrived first so they had him blindfolded and was made to wait at a room in our airbnb while we wait for the last party and prepare for final details. When they arrived, it’s game time.


THE PROPOSAL: I planned to sing Elton John’s “Your Song" for him before actually proposing, unfortunately when he removed his blind fold, I couldn’t perform (this is an important detail, you’ll see why in the next article tomorrow) we were both frozen, and I for once in my life, besides the many many failed recits I had in law school, I WAS LOST FOR WORDS, so I was like F*CK IT, I kneeled and asked the question, AND HE SAID YES. 



AFTERPARTY: I stayed a little while to share drinks with my friends but was so tired since I was basically awake for more than 48hrs, and I knew I had to wake up early to clean up and drive home so I went to bed a little bit earlier. Everyone was having fun though, it was like a mini reunion for everyone in attendance. 







Chapter 6: Egress

I woke up a little late, so I immediately rushed to check everything with a little panic inside me since I know I didn’t have time to clean up luckily Jeff already handled most of it and all I gotta do is load it in the car.


This is the funny part, I drive a 2015 Ranger Wildtrak, that can only sit about 5 people comfortably, but we went home with 7 of us in cramped in that car with all our stuff and Khaleesi of course. We had to make a stop at Nuvali just to stretch out and be able to walk some more before continuing our trip back home




I will leave this article with a short message "LET YOUR LOVE BE STRONGER THAN THE HATE, THE WORLD WILL ALWAYS HATE, MAKE SURE YOUR LOVE GOES BEYOND THAT"




NEXT ARTICLE TOMORROW: HOW HE PROPOSED

YOU CAN FOLLOW ME AND CONTACT ME AT MY SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook