Order of a Gentleman: 6 Men Style Secrets In Looking Polished

September 28, 2019





Shirt suspenders (Also called SHIRT STAYS) has been around for decades now but has only reached the market around 2016-2017, and it is revolutionary. It helps you maintain your tucked in shirt looking polished and well for the rest of the day. I’m telling you guys, when I discovered this, I never went out with a tucked in shirt without it (Unless if I’m going for a boho/rugged look with a loose tuck.)



For those who are new to the concept, there are various types of shirt suspenders. First, there’s the garter type, which I use, that goes around your thighs and clips the helm of your shirt in. Second, we have the helm to socks type which clips to the edge of your socks and the helm of your shirt. Third are the Foot type, which has a loop at the end for you to insert your foot in. There are plenty more but as of the moment those are the only ones I’ve tried thus far.

Where to buy: Online, it goes for P150-500 per pair

Substitute: This was taught to me by my friend who is a graduate of Hospitality Management. Tuck it in your underwear




Yes, Guys have spanx too, and it’s life changing. I’ve been using one since college, but only on certain occasions. Before you get yours let me educate you first. 
Firstly, spanx doesn't make you skinnier, it just re-distributes lumps from body fat as well as excess skin, making your body free from any unsightly lumps that might be poking your top. Secondly, it’s important because as a style rule, the inside is just as important as the outside, meaning your underwear or body should not cause any unsightly shapes or textures on your clothes, the spanx can help to smoothen your body. I myself am a muffin top, the use of spanx help me a lot in that department. 




Third, It can be quite uncomfortable especially to first timers, I’ve been using it for years and I’m still uncomfortable with it, but it gives me enough confidence to wear it all day long. Fourth, wearing spanx is not sexy, so if you plan on getting laid don’t wear one as it makes creases that looks like temporary stretch marks on your skin, and there’s nothing sexy about removing spanx. Lastly, MOISTURISE before and after use, because spanx compresses the skin, it might cause further damage to dry skin or worst cause stretch marks which are permanent BTW.

Where to buy: Online, it goes for P350-700. I highly recommend the one with soft bones that way it doesn’t keep rolling down your tummy

Substitute: Wear tighter inner shirts to compress that excess skin. I’m currently at size Large, I wear size Small Inner shirts



Necktie clips have been around for decades but are often forgotten, primarily because modern ties now have a loop at the back to insert the thin part of your tie into but necktie clips are not just for holding the thin and stout part together, it’s also meant to keep your necktie from moving, this is done by clasping the stout and thin part of the necktie together with an opening in your long sleeves.

Where to buy: Online, it goes for P20-150. There are also a lot of this at suit specialty stores and department stores that goes for P50-500 depending on the brand

Substitute: Hairpins, if you’re wearing a black necktie. just make sure the flat side is out and the rugged side is inside




This one is definitely relatively new. What it is, is a piece of metal or plastic that you put inside your collar to make it stiff, It looks like this, 

I owned a pair before but I lost it through hard partying, so I don’t have a personal photo to show ya’ll. They also have disposable plastic ones but we have to be kinder to the environment so no no. It’s relatively expensive for what it is and what it does.

Where to buy: Online, it goes for P150-500 depending on the type of Stiffeners you’d prefer

Substitute: Hairpins again. Just insert a piece of  hairpin inside the flap of your collar (there should be a pocket inside your collar if your long sleeves is made from 2010-present. If none just cut a small hole on the inside lining, no need to feel wasteful, if your collar is flimsy the shirt itself is already ruined.




You need to polish your leather products (i.e. shoes, belt, jackets) with leather conditioner, what it does is make your leather look brand new and clean specially if it has seen better days. But wait, there’s more, not only will your leather articles look brand new it’ll add a coat of protection so your leather products wont be as vulnerable to harmful chemical as well as prevent it from cracking

Just apply the conditioner on your leather, let it dry before wearing it.

Where to buy: These are lucky find items, sometimes it’s available at groceries and hardware stores, sometimes it isn’t. I got mine online for P480 but there are others online starting at P180

Substitute: Shoe polisher, Kiwi is the most inexpensive one, however it does not condition as strongly as a purposeful leather conditioner does, it simply polishes it, AND shoe polisher is very color specific so be careful when utilising it.



Hairpins are the ultimate secret weapon for looking polished, I’ve already mentioned two ways that I’ve used hairpins in my daily life, let me introduce some more. Say you need to fold the helm of your pants, or your sleeves, an instant pop of hairpin can help you keep the fold nice and tucked all day long. Say your belt is too long and it’s just out of reach of next belt loop, use a hair pin to clip down loose belt ends. Say your knit sweater got ruined, just slide a hairpin in between the knits to cover the gap

Now you might be saying, oh it’s unsightly, people would see it its very obvious, etc. Listen, hairpins come in hundreds of colors, they even have clear ones, just choose the right color for the right outfit, and also place it where it’s hidden.

Where to buy: Anywhere basically, it’s very inexpensive and almost every grocery or sari-sari store has some. I always buy in bulk online 50php for 150pcs. since most of my clothes are black I don’t really need to get more colors, I only buy black and the transparent ones,





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook